Monday, May 30, 2011

Dude Review: Steel Kettle Light Original Brew (From Guest Blogger Ethan Fox)

What is one of the most consumed products on Memorial Day weekend? Ok, let's be honest,  EVERY weekend... yep, it's BEER! What else could be better for washing down BBQ'd meat!? Well, if you're like me, then you probably don't really care about the quality of beer you drink. I'm perfectly happy with a Coors Light, Miller Light, Bud Light, Keystone Light (brutal) etc. Of course, I might have white trashified myself but guess what, don't care. I'm on a budget here folks!

I recently started trying the EXTREMELY cheap side of the beer world. To join this club, you can't just go to a regular grocery store. The best place to find a drinkable budget friendly brew is either at Trader Joe's or Fresh and Easy. I was drinking this $2.99/six pack beer called "Simpler Times Lager" (genius name) and it has 6.2 percent alcohol content, and I'm not gonna lie, the taste is not bad at all! I was surprised! I don't consider myself a light weight and after TWO beers, I was feeling kind of buzzed. So, for $1 I can get buzzed!? Sign me up! I think this will be my new "go to" beer!

That is until I recently visited Fresh and Easy and saw a $4.99 TWELVE PACK called "Steel Kettle Light." I was reluctant at first because I didn't see how a beer that cheap could be any good. I had this other one from Fresh and Easy called "Taurino" ($9.99 for an 18 pack) and it just tasted horrible... but I wanted to get drunk and it was there at the time. Well, after taking Steel Kettle home and giving it a whirl, I gotta say...IT TASTES JUST LIKE COORS LIGHT! In fact, it tastes like ALL of the Light beers! Why would I want to spend double the money, for a watered down brew that tastes exactly the same!?



Now, I haven't had more than two, so I can't tell you whether or not it gives a throbbing headache the next day, but from what I've had so far, I don't see that happening. Unless of course you drank the whole twelve pack in one sitting. I recommend getting some pistachios to go along with it, always a good choice.

Overall review, a damn fine substitute for all the name brand light beers. We're not talking about the best tasting beer here, just one that will do the job for a BBQ, beer pong, or a poker game. If your friends make fun of you for bringing it to a party, just say "F U then, more for me!" I can understand if someone is drinking something delicious, like a Shock Top or Blue Moon Summer Ale, but if they're drinking Coors Light and they make fun of your Steel Kettle, then they should question their ability to save money.

1 comments:

BlakeMoo said...

Well, I am a beer snob (and coffee for that matter) and I like to taste the beer and the subtle hints of citrus, spices and Christmas tree branches. If it's in there I'm going to try to taste it. I just bought a 12 pack of New Castle and for $10.99 I was perfectly happy.

When I want to get shit faced drunk I tend to go for a Samuel L. Jackson "It'll get you drunk. You'll be f**kin fat girls in no time" Hahaha (<3)

Post a Comment