Sunday, May 29, 2011

Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm (Honeysuckle, Hibiscus, Rose, and Red Dahlia)

As soon as I saw Burt's Bees new tinted lip balms at my local Target, I knew I had to try them. My lips are naturally devoid of color so I am always looking for products that will brighten them up without being too high maintenance (I'm lookin' at you, lipstick). Don't get me wrong, I like lipstick, but it can be impractical for everyday errands and relaxing at home - I want to look pretty, but don't want to have to consult a mirror to reapply my lipstick every time my lips feel dry. Since my former favorite tinted lip balm has been discontinued (R.I.P. Revlon's Beyond Natural in Neutral Pink) I went ahead and got these Burt's Bees lip balms in four different colors: Honeysuckle, Hibiscus, Rose, and Red Dahlia.

My lips, sans product (in a warm room)


Honeysuckle was the first one I tried and it was not right for my coloring - Burt's Bees categorizes it as a "neutral," but it came out kind of shimmery yellowish/goldish on my lips. I ended up giving it to a friend with a more olive complexion and it looked better on her (more natural).

Honeysuckle in the tube - I'm not wearing it because I visited my friend this weekend and she showed me that she still had this lip balm after I'd put on lipstick. Oops!

Next up was Hibiscus, which I think is the most pigmented of the four. It looks really good on my lips and seems to have a thicker, more solid texture than the other three, which seem more sheer. Because of its texture, Hibiscus is the closest to a lipstick of the ones I tried. If applied liberally however, I noticed it has a tendency to settle in the lines of my lips.

(Note: I don't have pictures of Hibiscus because it melted in the dryer last week. I hate it when that happens! I even checked my pockets, but I must have missed one - of course, I missed the only one with something actually in it)

While Rose is a more sheer color, I feel like I can apply it in more layers than Hibiscus without it settling in the lines of my lips. Burt's Bees considers it a "red" but it is a deep pink on my lips, which is exactly what I was hoping for. However, I wish it had just a bit more color; it can be too sheer in colder weather.

Wearing Rose (in a warm room)

Rose in the tube

Red Dahlia is another one of the "red" colors, but it isn't really red either. It is very similar to Rose, but it looks darker in the tube. When it's on my lips, however, it seems indistinguishable from Rose, except it somehow looks worse on me when it's cold out.

Wearing Red Dahlia (in a warm room)

Red Dahlia in the tube

Overall: I really like the texture of these lip balms, which is creamy but not sticky. They also smell and taste good (subtly fruity). Hibiscus and Rose are my personal favorites. Honeysuckle looked awful on me, and Red Dahlia isn't anything special. They're all really sheer though (even Hibiscus), so if you're looking for a lot of color to help pasty lips, these aren't your best bet for year-round coverage. While they're great in warmer months, in colder weather they just sit on my lips and look waxy and weird on me. However, if your lips are naturally flushed, these would probably be really good for you because they'll enhance what you've already got going on.

Re-buy?: Probably not. There isn't anything bad about them, and they actually look really good in warm weather, but I need something that can get me through all temperatures and still look flawless.

0 comments:

Post a Comment